zondag 3 oktober 2010

Preparation of the 3rd lecture Technology

The 3rd lecture is all about technology. To prepare this lecture worked out an example of a pedagogical approach which is supported by technology.
The example I’ve worked out is the one I use as a teacher in a Vocational Educational Training (VET) center. Since a few years the government stated that all VET’s should implement the pedagogical approach: competence based learning.


Competence bases learning differs a lot from the tradition way of teaching and assessing. For this example, I chose a way of assessment which my VET centre is using. This is a portfolio assessment. All student have an online portfolio where they can deliver evidence for the development  of a certain competence. This online portfolio tool is integrated in the Course Management System “Learning 4 u”.


I think this technology is really helpful because I’ve noticed that it motivates student by their learning process. In one view they can see which competence they still have to develop (red) and which are already developed (green). This tools also includes a feedback system where teacher deliver feedback and where students can react on. Within competence based learning student are 40% of their time on their internship. According to my experiences students like it that they can work on their portfolio during their internship (distance learning) and don’t have to wait for their next lecture.


If you are interested in this tool, feel free to contact me, or visit the website:
http://www.learning4u.nl/

1 opmerking:

  1. Hi Simone,
    I read your blog about competence- based learning and the technology used for it. I think that the online portfolio is a nice example, but I'm still wondering how the Course Management System is supporting the competence- based learning approach?
    And how do teacher like this new approach? Did they want it or was is something they had to deal with?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen